An information interview is an appointment that you schedule with a particular individual for the purpose of gaining valuable information from an insider’s point of view. If you are in the process of choosing a major, making career decisions, changing career, or beginning a job hunt, these interviews may help you explore your possibilities.
- Be prepared and professional
- Know your values, interests, and skills and how they relate to the career field represented by the person(s) you will be interviewing.
- Research your occupation or industry before contacting volunteers so you can ask effective questions.
- Know exactly what information you want by having a list of questions in mind.Be sure to note how the volunteer wishes to be contacted, and be respectful of that request.
- Read about the career area and organization of the person you will be interviewing.
- Check for any websites associated with them, their organization, or career field.
- You may also want to ask the organization for any annual reports, brochures, etc. that can’t be found online.